We put in our raised beds today, we had a lot of discussion back and forth about whether or not raised beds were the way to go.. but the desirable location made the decision for us; so we made raised beds. Gabe constructed the frames Friday evening after work, which was simple.
Today we had to scrape a layer of sod (grass) off the lawn and dig down into the soil so the feet would be stable. This turned into a longer process than I anticipated, but my husband is a bit of a perfectionist. Set in place they look pretty good! They appear offset because they are set into a hillside.
(Sorry for the dark picture, the sun was setting) Too bad its about 6 weeks too early for veggies. We have pondered doing some spinach and kale for baby salad greens, which is a good idea. We have the seed, so why waste it. I can also put in carrot seed, but that might require row covers on the really cold nights still. So, we’ll see. On a more depressing note, I think the snowstorm that we got after the move killed our garlic. It had started to sprout in NY, and then I never covered it before winter returned and now its not showing any signs of life. I have some faith, but not much.